NEWS

Prestige Bullion believes there is additional value to be derived in terms of creating socio-economic upliftment and sustainable development in Africa. It’s called beneficiation and immeasurably benefits local communities.
OUR DISTRUBUTION NETWORK
RAND REFINERY
SA MINT

FUN FACTS

  1. The first Krugerrand was struck on one of the oldest working mint presses in the world, also known as the Oom Paul mint press.
  2. The original recommended name for the Krugerrand was “The Trojan” – this was changed to the Krugerrand in 1966.
  3. There has been no design change to the Krugerrand since 1967.
  4. In 1980, fractional bullion Krugerrands were introduced in 1/2, 1/4 and 1/10 ounces, as well as the collectible, proof quality range of Krugerrands.
  5. Although a Krugerrand is legal tender, it has never recorded a face value on its obverse or reverse sides. This was done to emphasise that the value of each coin is directly related to the prevailing value of their fine gold content.
  6. The Krugerrand is minted from gold alloy that is 91.67% pure (22 karats) so the coin contains one troy ounce (31.1035 g) of gold. The remaining 8.33% of the coin’s weight (2.826 g) is copper (an alloy known historically as crown gold which has long been used for English gold sovereigns), which gives the Krugerrand a red-tinted appearance compared to the silver-alloyed gold coins. Copper alloy coins are harder and more durable, so they can resist scratches and dents.
  7. The Krugerrand is the only gold coin which has a government guaranteed buy back, at the Rand gold price of the day.
  8. Proof Krugerrands are distinguishable by the number of serrations on the edge of the coin. Proof coins have 220 serrations, while bullion coins have 160.

YOUTUBE CONTENT

Please rotate your device to portrait mode.